ST. JOHN’S LUTHERAN CHURCH
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR POSITION OF
DIRECTOR OF YOUTH MINISTRY
The Director of Youth Ministry will coordinate, and direct the Youth Ministry of the church, in consultation with and supported by the Pastor and Youth Ministry Team, towards the goal of nurturing faith and strengthening involvement of middle school and high school youth in the life and mission of the congregation.
The Director of Youth Ministry will meet the following standards:
A. Commitment to the Christian faith and a life of discipleship
B. Participant in the worship life of the congregation
C. Commitment to the mission of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (https://www.elca.org/en/About/Mission-and-Vision)
D. Commitment to personal and spiritual growth and professional development
E. Strong organizational and planning skills
F. Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion
G. Willing and able to abide by “safe practices” policy of the church for adults working with youth
SPECIFIC AREAS OF MINISTRY:
The essential duties of the Director of Youth Ministry include:
A. Administrating the planning and organizing of regular activities for middle school and senior high youth, assisted by appropriate committees and volunteers
B. Being visible and accessible to the youth and their parents
C. Working with the Pastor and Education Committee to support the Confirmation program, including confirmation camp
D. Coordinating service opportunities for youth and families
The Director of Youth and Family Ministry shall:
A. Be accountable to the pastor as immediate supervisor and as the administrative head of staff.
B. Work closely with lay committees and groups, especially the Youth Ministry Team and Education Committee
C. Reports regularly to Church Council. Attends as needed.
D. Participate in regular staff meetings and an annual evaluation process
E. Participate in congregational council visioning retreats
F. Do other tasks as assigned by the Pastor from time to time
GAINS NEW KNOWLEDGE:
The Director of Youth Ministry is encouraged to:
A. Participate in the ELCA Children and Youth Ministry Network and our Greater Milwaukee Synod’s Intergenerational Ministry Network
B. Make use of continuing education opportunities through the above groups, and others, such as Crossways Camping Ministry.
• At least 21 years of age.
• Prior experience or recent training in youth ministry or outdoor ministries of the church preferred
• Ability to relate and to communicate with middle school and high school youth with understanding and compassion
• Able to pass a background check
• College education and some theological educational preferred, with teaching background and social media skills helpful
• This is a salaried, part-time position, averaging approximately 10-15 hours a week.
• No benefits or paid vacation included. Time off is allowed. Workers’ Compensation applies to all church staff (except the Pastor).
Contact Pastor Paul Mittermaier at 262-677-3176 or email your resume to email@example.com